Residential Programs and Services

Home > Housing > Guides > Apartment Housing Move-In Guide

The Apartment Housing Move-In Guide

Welcome to the community of on-campus apartment living. This information is exclusively for people moving into one of these unfurnished apartments:

If you plan to live in a furnished apartment at Hillcrest, Mason Hall, Union Street Center, or Willkie, please refer to the Residence Hall Move-In Guide.


Move-In Day

The apartments will be available beginning Wednesday, August 16, 2017. Report directly to the office of the assigned apartment complex identified below.

Office hours are 8 a.m.–9 p.m. If you arrive outside of these hours, please contact the appropriate office to make arrangements. Parking will be available in the lots adjacent to the buildings. Parking enforcement in the CH zones will begin at 11 p.m. on Sunday, August 20.

You may move in early if your apartment is ready. Please contact your apartment's office to discuss this possibility and the additional costs.


BBHN and Campus View
Campus View, Room 101
800 North Union St.
Bloomington, IN 47408


Evermann and Redbud
Evermann, Room 124
2001 East Lingelbach Ln.
Bloomington, IN 47408


Tulip Tree, 3rd & Union, and University
Tulip Tree, Room 108
2451 East Tenth St.
Bloomington, IN 47408


The Basics

All apartments have the following:

  • Cable TV connection.
  • Carpeting (available at 3rd & Union, Campus View, and Tulip Tree).
  • Ethernet connection.
  • Full-sized refrigerators.
  • Oven/stove combination units.
  • Window coverings.



The following modification guidelines establish standards which comply with current safety, fire, and maintenance policies. We recommend that roommates talk about decorating and arranging the space before either makes any changes.

Proposed changes must be submitted in writing to the housing manager of your apartment complex and approved before making any changes.

  • All window treatments (draperies or blinds) provided are flame retardant and should not be replaced or modified without prior authorization.
  • Area rugs for non-carpeted apartments must have a flame spread rating and smoke-contribution rating of 200 or less. Commercial carpet should be tagged or marked with this information.
  • Furniture must not obstruct doors or windows at any time. Doors and windows must be accessible and operational at all times as a means of exit or entry, especially in emergency situations.
  • Furniture or other items may not be attached to or supported by walls, existing fixtures.
  • Highly flammable decorative materials (i.e., fishnets, curtains, paper) cannot be used.
  • Only authorized University employees may make changes to the electrical system and wiring in the residence halls.
  • Painting is not permitted.
  • Residents are responsible for restoring the apartment to its original, acceptable condition when moving out of the apartment.




3rd & Union, Campus View, and Tulip Tree Apartments are air-conditioned. Residents may use a window unit at Redbud, Evermann, BBHN, and University Apartments.

Units must comply with RPS size and power limits. Specifications are available at each apartment complex office. For safety reasons, window air conditioners must be installed by RPS staff. There is a fee for installation.

Telephone Service

Phone lines will only be turned on by student request. When completing the request form:

  • Select the "Student" button.
  • Select "Bloomington" campus from the drop down menu.
  • Select the "Analog Lines" button.
  • Select the "Analog Line Requests" button.
  • Enter None In the "Account Number" field.
  • Enter your first and last name In the "Name" field.
  • Enter your User ID In the "Username" field.
  • Enter a call-back number In the "Phone" field, if available.
  • Enter Residence Hall Name, location (i.e., floor, room, wing), and, if known, the Jack ID (should be on the telephone jack in the room) in the "Notes" box.Type "I need the number in my room activated."
  • Click on the "Submit Request" button.

Television Service

Television service is provided by the Indiana University Campus Cable System. A cable outlet is located in every apartment. Residents must provide cables for connecting the TV to the outlet.


At least one in-room Ethernet connection is available in each apartment. Many apartments have multiple connections. For information such as minimum system requirements and connecting to the IU network, visit UITS. Additional residential computing information is available at the IU Knowledge Base.

Indiana University has a growing "wireless" network, and many residential buildings have Wi-Fi available. Additional information is available from UITS.

Students have free use of PCs and Macs in the Residential Computing Centers. The centers are located at 3rd & Union, Campus View, Tulip Tree, Evermann, and University Apartments East. These rooms also contain a printer that can print from your apartment. Access is 24/7 by keycard or apartment key.

Moving Tips

Campus View, 3rd & Union, and Tulip Tree apartments have elevators. A few carts are available, free of charge, during move-in. Because quantities are limited, and the carts are heavily used at busy times, bringing a cart or dolly is recommended.

You cannot move in your belongings until you arrive and formally check in to your apartment. Exceptions can be made to this for rental furniture, but arrangements must be made in advance with your apartment's office.

Moving companies may bring your belongings. However, they will not be given a key to the apartment and may not reserve elevators.

If you chose to order your furnitire online, please schedule it to arrive on or after the day you move in.

To protect the health and safety of everyone living in or visiting the apartments, we cannot permit some items in the buildings. All electrical appliances must be:

  1. Underwriters Laboratories (UL) listed.
  2. Equipped with thermostatic controls when appropriate.
  3. Rated at 700 watts (6 AMPS) or less.

Extension cords and surge strips and protectors using the new LCDI technology, such as Fire Shield®, are strongly recommended.

More information about university safety policies and Indiana Codes is available from the Office of Insurance. Loss Control & Claims.

Items to Bring

  • Cleaning Supplies
  • Computer
  • Dishes and Cutlery
  • Electric Fan
  • Flashlight
  • Furniture
  • Linens
  • Microwave
  • Pots and Pans
  • Radio, TV, DVD Player, CD Player, iPod/iPad dock

Prohibited Items

  • Candles
  • Combustible liquids
  • Drones
  • Electric open-coil heaters, or any appliance with exposed burners
  • Firearms, BB guns, paintball guns, pellet guns, sling shots, and weapons
  • Fireworks
  • Halogen lights and lamps
  • Hoverboards
  • Incense and incense burners
  • Pets (fish are the only pets permitted)
  • Portable washers, dryers, and dishwashers
  • Smoking devices (i.e., hookahs, pipes, cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, cigars)
  • Sun lamps

Payments & Billing

All billings are made by the Office of the Bursar. Housing charges will be billed monthly. Instructions on bill paying, the billing calendar, etc. are available from the bursar.

Questions about the monthly statement, payment options, payment due dates, billing addresses or other related issues should be directed to contact the Office of the Bursar at 812-855-2636, or by email.

Questions about housing, meal plan charges, and the student government activity fee should be directed to the RPS Bookkeeping Office at 812-855-1909, or by email.

Residential Programs and Services



Staff Directory


Live Chat