All first-year undergraduate students are required to live in university housing for at least two semesters. In some instances, you may be eligible to request an exemption.
You are eligible to request an exemption from the Residency Policy if you fit in one of the categories below. Remember, if you meet any of the following criteria, you still must submit a request for exemption.
- You live with a parent or legal guardian within a 25-mile radius of Bloomington.
- You are a transfer student entering your first semester of study at the Bloomington campus and have a minimum of 15-course credit hours from another accredited university, college, or IU campus that will be transferred and accepted by IU Bloomington.
- You are a part-time student enrolled in less than 12 credit hours each semester of your first year.
- You will be 21 years of age before the start of your first semester at IU Bloomington.
- You are married, have children, or qualify under the university's guidelines for a domestic partnership.
- You are pledging a fraternity or sorority and will reside in a chapter house. Proof of residency in the chapter house is required.
We will consider requests for exemptions for special circumstances (e.g. medical, religious, financial) on a case-by-case basis.
NOTE: You must submit a housing application only if requesting an exemption due to special circumstances, which is to establish your housing priority date for assignment purposes in the event your request is denied by the review committee. If your request is approved, the $200 application fee will be refunded.
How to Apply for an Exemption
- Submit your exemption online at Contract Appeals, Exemptions, and Cancellations.
- After submitting your exemption request, you will receive an email with instructions on how to submit your supporting documentation (i.e. marriage license, birth certificate, military orders, or other applicable documents).
- We will notify you of our final decision within two weeks of submitting your required supporting documentation.
- Students beginning fall semester 2016: June 1, 2016.
- Students beginning spring semester 2017: November 1, 2016.
NOTE: You need an IU username to submit your housing application and exemption request. If you have not yet created your username, you may do so by following these instructions.
Once your username is created, it could take 24–72 hours before you may begin your exemption request. If you need further assistance creating your username, contact the UITS Support Center, or call 812-855-6789. If you have questions about the exemption request process, please email us, or call 812-855-6839.
- Non-Compliance: Any first-year student who violates this policy by living off-campus may be subject to immediate administrative withdrawal from the university and/or required to pay all room and board fees and charges for the semester(s) in which the violation(s) occurred.
- Disciplinary Expulsion: If a first-year student's behavior is found to be in direct violation of the IU Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct, the student is barred from all on-campus housing. The student may also be subject to immediate administrative withdrawal from the university.