All undergraduate first-year students are required to live in university housing for at least two semesters. In some instances, you may be eligible to request an exemption.
You are eligile to request an exemption from the Residency Policy if you fit in one of the categories below. Remember: If you meet any of the following criteria, you still must submit a request for exemption.
- You live with a parent or legal guardian within a 25 mile radius of Bloomington
- You are a transfer student entering your second semester of study having completed 15 credit hours or more
- You are a part-time student enrolled in less than 12 credit hours each semester
- You will be 21 years of age prior to the start of your first semester at IU Bloomington
- You are married and/or have children or who qualify under the university guidelines for a domestic partnership
- You are pledging a fraternity and will reside in a chapter house (Proof of residency in the fraternity is required.)
Requests for exemptions will be considered for special circumstances (e.g. medical, cultural, financial) on a case-by-case basis.
How to Apply for an Exemption
- Submit your exemption online at Contract Appeals, Exemptions, and Cancellations.
- After submitting your exemption request, you will receive an email with instructions on how to submit your supporting documentation (i.e. marriage license, birth certificate, military orders, or other applicable documents).
- You will be notified of our final decision within two weeks of submitting your required supporting documentation.
- Students beginning fall semester 2016: June 1, 2016.
- Students beginning spring semester 2017: November 1, 2016.
You must submit a housing application before submitting an exemption request.
You will need an IU username to submit your housing application and exemption request. If you have not yet created your username, you may do so by following these instructions. Once your username is created, it could take 24 – 72 hours before you are able to begin your exemption request.
If you need further assistance creating your username, contact the UITS Support Center or call (812) 855-6789.
If you have questions about the exemption request process, please email us or call (812) 855-6839.
- Non-Compliance: Any first-year student who violates this policy by living off campus may be subject to immediate administrative withdrawal by the university and/or required to pay all room and board fees and charges for the semester(s) in which the violation(s) occurred.
- Disciplinary Expulsion: If a first-year student's behavior is found to be in direct violation of the IU Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct and as a result, the student is barred from all on-campus housing, the student may also be subject to immediate administrative withdrawal from the university.